Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Tuesday Jan. 28, 2020

We've been going on a lot of exchanges kay it's the end of the transfer and we hadnt done any exchanges yet hahaha. Well the last two we've done were with the Elders in Lawaan and Linao. So I got the chance to work with Elder Swain (my follow-up trainee) again on exchanges in Lawaan and Elder Dutson (My brother on the mission) in Linao. 

Those two days of work were probably my favorite days of work this entire transfer. I don't really know what happened but we just really got to work and saw miracles happen. Elder Swain and I got 5 lessons in on one day which doesnt seem like a ton but that's the most lessons their area has seen in one day for a VERY long time. Elder Dutson and I had 6 lessons on a Monday meaning we only worked a half day (because of district council) and still got in that many lessons plus a whole bunch of testifying contacts. 

There was a bunch of other cool things that happened, but I don't want to go on a long rant about it all. But ya it was just nice to really feel like I was giving it my all with these Elders. I always strive my best to be a good example to the Elders I go on exchanges with and try to help them learn as much as I have to offer, but I always feel like I take more out from the experience than they do. It's kinda hard to explain how I've been feeling this transfer, all the different kinds of trials and blessings that have come and gone, but I don't know it kinda has somehow been good. I've had some really low times this transfer, but I got out of them. I found peace and joy in many different ways. Often times it felt like a day by day battle (sometimes even hour by hour), but I must say it's all just made me realize I'm stronger than I thought I was.

My biggest worry coming to the end of my mission is that I would lose that fire and not give it my all. I've come to recognize in myself that that fire is still burning strong. Though rains by strive to douse it as winds beat upon it, I've come to learn just how much stronger we can become in affliction. I've come to love reading the words of Paul. They seem to really connect with me (probably even more so as a missionary) Something he said in one of his letters to the Corinthians really connected with me...

2 Corinthians 12:9-10

9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ’s sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

I think often times we go through hard things in life and we understand that somehow in someway it's suppose to eventually make us stronger and better. That's not really how Paul describes it though. He talks about glorifying god IN his infirmites, or taking pleasure IN his reproaches, persecutions, and distresses. Almost even saying that it's not until that very moment that we're at our weakest, when all seems lost, when there no longer seems to be any strength left in us at all that we are then actually at our strongest.

I've been praying a lot lately that God would give me the strength to give it my all these last few months. It's been a long time coming but at the same time it feels like I dont have enough time left. Well with everything that I've gone through, I think he's given me just that; enough time and more than enough strength to do all that he's sent me here to do.

After all, "...I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in [me]." Romans 8:18

I know I am doing God's work and I don't want to be doing anything else. Nothing could make me change how I feel about that. I love what I do.

Love ya,
Elder Shirley