Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Visit from Elder Wakolo

ps: there's like a mission tour thing going on so that's why I'm emailing today. Elder Wakolo from the area presidency is having a little conference for us tomorrow and he's interviewing some missionaries. Apparently I'm going to be one of the missionaries he interviews so we'll see how that goes.

Daaaaang, sounds like you had a busy day and that you have enough meat for the next year or two. I must say I do miss moose burgers so I'm a little jealous. Also that's great that no one lost their home. Looking at the map and from what I've heard from everyone It sounds like it was a pretty dangerous situation. And it's awesome that Devin got hired by the division. He'll like totally have his life together by the time I get back.... weird. And I mean when USU by some miracle beats BYU it'll be even better because I heard how BYU is actually ranked this year.

Also for conference we apparently watch it the Sunday after conference which makes sense because we're actually like a day ahead here so it'll be Monday by the time Sunday conference actually starts. 

Also I didn't get worms from wiping with my hand. And ya you pretty much just take a pill and it detaches the worms from your stomach and you're fine. And ya I've been feeling a lot better so I'm sure they're gone. 

Ya the Typhoon pretty much missed the Island of Cebu so we're totally fine. We did just get a whole lot of rain the other day, like so much rain we were actually kinda trapped because we couldn't get to appointments because roads were flooding and then we couldn't go back to our balay because our street had flooded. So we managed to get to a 7 eleven and we just studied there until the rain stopped. and ya i heard about the landslide, sounds like you pretty much have heard just as much about it as I have though. 

And ya it's kinda annoying because the new people we are teaching are actually getting really into our messages but we can't teach them that often because we need kuyogs (fellowshippers) to be able to teach them and we haven't been able to get that many members to kuyog with us. But ya we normally teach in people's homes. Which really varies from person to person. There's a couple people with homes similar to homes you'd see in the US but then there's also homes where it's literally the size of like a handicap stall. The people here live very humbly. It doesn't matter to them the size of there house or anything like that. In fact some of the happiest people I've met live in the smallest of homes. They really appreciate the things in life that actually matter and that's why they're so happy all the time. They care more about the well being of others than they do for themselves and it's honestly really inspiring. 

The Language is still coming to say the least. My language in lessons is pretty good but I'm still working on being able to have normal conversations with people which is mainly just hard because I'm still working on understanding so when I talk with people I really have to piece together what they're saying so it's hard sometimes to understand. If people speak clearly I do alright with my understanding, the problem is that Bisaya is supposed to be a very hard spoken language in that you are supposed to speak very clearly and say all the letters and parts very clearly, but most of the people that speak bisaya don't do that so that's been great. 

 Oh I almost forgot, we had a baptism this last week. His name is John Cordova, he's nine years old and belongs to a part member family. He was literally the best to teach because we would just teach everything super simply and he understood very easily so that was great. So ya had my first baptism this week. Yaaaaaay

Oh it was also transfer week last week so we have new missionaries in my zone so that's cool. There's one sister from the new batch of missionaries that just got transfered into my zone so now I'm not the youngest missionary in the zone! (or the most lost with bisaya, yaaaay)

Sounds like you're having a pretty adventurous time back home. The house looks great. I see you've already turned my room into a guest room. Must be very quiet around the house. Hope you and Dad are getting used to being empty nesters. Hope Pepper is still kicking too. 
Gihigugma Tika! Tulo ka bulan hangtud makatawag ko kanimo! Yaaaay
(*translated: Three months until I can call you!*)

Elder Shirley







Oh I also ate these noodle things because I told a member that I missed spicey food because their food is mostly sweet here so a member gave me these spicey korean noodle things. They were pretty spicey. Dad would've turned red and started sweating a lot.