Saturday, January 26, 2019

Hawaii

So... a week ago or so I was in Hawaii (this is Spencer's mom talking)... Tuesday night came around and I anxiously waited my weekly email ... nothing ...hmm? Did he say it was zone conference?   I go to his Mission specific facebook page and casually ask if anyone else with a Wednesday didn't receive their weekly email...

Here are the responses I received ....

Julie Jones: Zone conference in Cebu City. All day travel for some.

Sue Ann Whitlock: I heard from my son but he is serving on Negros. He didn't mention a conference but I'm sure everything is fine. Sometimes my older boys would miss here and there.

Sarah Tuttle Call: My son is having trouble with his emails not sending to the whole family. He sent the email but nobody is getting it. I had to get him to send me his email and then I can send it out to the rest of the family. He is in Negros and said they did have zone conference but it sounded like they had a normal p-day.

Wendy Robbins Williams: Son is in Negros and not having any problems with emailing.

Shelley Frohm: message me I am the mission nurse and can probably help you out.

See anything suspicious?  The mission NURSE?  hmm.....so... I message her:

"Hi there! I’m the mom who asked if there was a zone conference and if that is why I hadn’t heard from my missionary (elder spencer shirley)- it sounds like that may have been the case... but... since you’re the nurse and he didn’t tell me until after the fact that he had worms... he had been complaining of headaches, but said they are better now... I’m going to assume all is well and that it was just a fun busy day for him that I will hear all about next week... if not, please let me know . Thank you for reaching out & thank you for all you do for our missionaries! "

Her response:Your son is okay and he will email you soon.

Great!! All is well :)

The next day ....
Sister Shirley I wanted to update you on your son. He has had a fever and felt pretty poorly since Saturday. Yesterday he asked to just reassure that he was okay. He is okay, but was admitted last night to the hospital. He has Dengue Fever.He is really past the worst of the Fever but felt that he could rest better in the Air conditioned hospital. They will continue to monitor his platelets as this is one of the complications with Dengue. If you have additional questions feel free to contact me..

What?! my response was "Thank you so much for the info", but my momma brain and heart were: what!? is he okay? should I be worried? did he get a blessing? how long will he be in the hospital? and oh.. darn it! this next week is transfers and he REALLY wanted to go to the Bukid (jungle/urban area) ... guess he will have another 6 weeks in the same area ... bummer.

I didn't nag the nurse any more, I assumed she would reach out if needed (I DID check my messenger multiple times a day!) .... It was a LONG week waiting and hoping for an email and update from Spencer ...

So, here's some pictures of a couple turtles I saw while trying not to think of him ;)